1. Core and standard needles were comparable in terms of diagnostic accuracy. 2. The number of needle passes for diagnosis was significantly lower with the core needle. 3. There was no significant difference in the procurement of optimal histologic cores between core and standard needles.
1. In patients with unprotected left main coronary artery (ULMCA) disease undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), in-hospital mortality rate was higher in acute coronary syndrome (ACS) than in stable angina pectoris (SAP). 2. Two-year clinical outcome was similar between SAP and ACS. Therefore, PCI of ULMCA can be performed in patients with ACS effectively and safely. 3. Predictive factors of 2-year mortality were hypertension, Killip class ≥ 3 and use of intra-aortic balloon pump.
1. Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) was found to be an independent predictor of severe atherosclerosis. 2. Mean platelet volume (MPV) was found to be an independent predictor of severe atherosclerosis. 3. Cut-off value of NLR above 2.54 and a value of MPV above 10.4 can predict the presence of atherosclerosis before coronary angiography. 4. Both NLR and MPV may be used in daily practice for the prediction and identification of cardiac risks without an intervention.
1. In both males and females with glomerular filtration rate (GFR) values < 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 , the linear trends toward the presence of obstructive and restrictive patterns were significant. 2. The percent predicted forced vital capacity (FVC) decreased with a decline in the estimated GFR, but only in males. 3. A decline in the estimated GFR was independently associated with falls in the percent predicted FVC and the forced expiratory volume in 1 second/FVC ratio in both males and females.
1. Lipoprotein(a) (Lp[a]) level was an independent predictive risk factor for cardiovascular disease (CVD) in type 2 diabetes. 2. Quartile or quintile range of Lp(a) levels may be useful as a prognostic risk factor for CVD. 3. As there is no proper treatment for lowering Lp(a) level, other cardiovascular risk factors should be treated more intensively in type 2 diabetic patients with high Lp(a) levels.
1. The prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) was estimated to be 7.9% in the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey samples of 2011 and 2012 in Korean adults aged ≥ 19. 2. Early identification of CKD paired with appropriate management and earlier referral to specialty kidney services results in economic and clinical benefits. 3. The majority of CKD patients have albuminuria prior to a decrease in glomerular filtration rate. 4. Regular laboratory tests for albuminuria in the high-risk group, especially for hypertensive or diabetes mellitus patients, should contribute to early detection of CKD.