1. Methicillin-resistance is still associated with increased mortality and hospital stay, compared with susceptible isolates in Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia.
2. In comparison of outcome between community-acquired methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible S. aureus bacteremia, methicillin-resistance increased the risk for mortality
1. Most maintenance hemodialysis subjects aged 40 or older were positive for the anti-hepatitis A virus (HAV) immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody, with no significant difference between the Kangnam and Chuncheon.
2. Fifty percentage of hemodialysis subjects younger than 40 were positive for the anti-HAV IgG antibody.
1. Lymphocytic thyroiditis is the second most common lesion diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and can progress to clinical hypothyroidism.
2. In euthyroid patients with lymphocytic thyroiditis on FNAC, clinical hypothyroidism could be predicted by background thyroiditis on ultrasonography, thyroid peroxidase antibody positivity, nodule size, and thyroid stimulating hormone levels.
3. Clinician should check thyroid function test regularly in patients with lymphocytic thyroiditis on FNAC.
1. We defined standard reference values for musculoskeletal ultrasonography in healthy Korean adults, providing basic data for further clinical investigations.
2. The reliabilities of both intra- and interobserver agreements were high after appropriate training program.
1. High mean platelet volume (MPV) was an independent risk factor for vascular access failure in hemodialysis patients.
2. Aspirin resistance showed a weak relationship with vascular access failure
3. High MVP is regarded as a potential marker for prediction of vascular access survival in hemodialysis patients.
1. The quality of information on the Internet for Korean patients with inflammatory bowel disease was insufficient and varied according to the website type and search engine.
2. The alternative medicine sites had the lowest quality of information, whereas the institutional sites had the highest. The higher search ranking did not guarantee better quality.
3. Accreditation and quality assurance systems will allow the recommendation of high-quality websites to the general public and patients.
1. Alirocumab add on treatment can make an additional low density lipoprotein cholesterol level reduction up to 65% to 75% compared with statin only therapy.
2. Alirocumab treatment additionally improved lipid parameters including high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), non-HDL-C, total cholesterol, lipoprotein(a), and apolipoprotein B versus placebo in the Korean patients.
3. Although alirocumab showed stronger effect on lipid modification than placebo, alirocumab did not induce higher rates of treatment-emergent adverse events and serious adverse events than statin only therapy.
1. Modifying the dose of melphalan-prednisone might be a feasible and effective approach for Korean patients receiving bortezomib plus melphalan-prednisone treatment.
2. Through modifying the dose of melphalan-prednisone, we will be able to avoid early treatment discontinuation and continue treatment without adversely affecting the clinical outcomes.
3. Nevertheless, careful attention must be paid to ensuring that the modified dose of melphalan-prednisone is not less than 50% of the planned dose.
1. The results of the present study suggest active multimodal treatment including neurosurgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy for brain metastasis (BM) of uterine cervical cancer with single BM, good performance status, histology of small cell carcinoma, and a better graded prognostic assessment.
2. Observing BM from uterine cervical cancer, regardless of symptoms and the absence of extracranial metastasis, is important for early detection, aggressive multimodal treatment, and a better survival rate.
1. In patients who underwent transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) as an initial treatment for single hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) ≤ 5 cm, the mean overall survival (OS) was 80.7 ± 5.6 months, and the 1-, 3-, and 5-year OS rates were 88.1%, 64.8%, and 49.9%, respectively.
2. Tumor size < 3 cm and hepatitis B virus infection were significant predictors for complete response (CR), and age > 65 years and absence of liver cirrhosis were predictive factors for non-recurrence after CR.
3. CR and Child-Pugh class A were significant predictors of OS. TACE can be an alternative treatment option for a single nodular HCC not suitable for curative treatment, especially in patients with CR and a Child-Pugh class A.
1. Endoscopic retrograde noxious agent injection is effective and safe for creating a model of acute pancreatitis.
2. The severity of acute pancreatitis is depended on the nature of the noxious agent and concentration.
3. These pancreatitis models would be effective for the development of a treatment strategy for acute pancreatitis.
1. Human papillomavirus (HPV)-positive locally advanced head and neck cancer patients with non-oropharyngeal location, poor performance status, or HPV genotype 18 showed poorer overall survival than those without risk factors.
2. Patients with risk factors might not be candidates for de-escalation treatment.
1. Unnecessary coronary angiography (CAG) is not infrequently performed in acute pulmonary embolism (APE) patients with troponin elevation because of clinical similarities with non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI).
2. Unnecessary CAG is associated with bleeding complications in patients with APE who require thrombolytic therapy.
3. The measurement of D-dimer/troponin-I ratio would be a simple and useful parameter for differentiating APE with cardiac troponin elevation from NSTEMI in acute clinical settings and thus would be helpful in avoiding unnecessary CAG.
1. Computed tomography-measured liver volume is an independent predictor of first variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patients on propranolol prophylaxis, along with variceal size and absence of ascites.
2. A nomogram based on liver volume can reliably estimate the probability of first variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patients on propranolol prophylaxis.
3. The nomogram-derived volume score has superior predictive performance compared to conventional predictors such as North Italian Endoscopy Club (NIEC) score and revised NIEC score.
1. This study shows biochemically and histopathologically that lutein protects the lung tissue from the toxic effect of methotrexate (MTX).
2. We suggest that the pulmonary protective effects of lutein be tested clinically in combination with MTX in the treatment of rheumatologic diseases or cancers.
1. This is the first population-based study that showed the long-term mortality of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Korea.
2. The 5-year mortality rate of COPD was about 25%, and the mortality in males was higher than in females.
3. The most common cause of death in COPD was chronic lower respiratory disease.
1. Depression is not significantly associated with asthma and rhinitis, but rather with chronic cough.
2. Management of respiratory symptoms, such as chronic and nocturnal cough, may be useful in controlling elderly asthma and improving their quality of life.