1. Endoscopic gastroesophageal flap valve (GEFV) grading is well correlated with anatomical changes around the gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) on abdominal computed tomography including the angle of His, the size of the diaphragmatic hiatus and the length of the abdominal esophagus. 2. Endoscopic GEFV grading can provide useful information about the anti-ref lux barrier of GEJ.
1. Hyperlipidemic patients show a reduction in endothelial progenitor cell (EPC) functions (migration, adhesion, and tube formation). 2. NADPH (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate) oxidase (NOX) is up-regulated in EPCs from the hyperlipidemic patients. 3. NOX-derived reactive oxygen species is positively correlated with the EPCs dysfunctions.
1. The incidence of acute myocarditis with severe scrub typhus may be higher than previously reported. 2. Patients with high bilirubin and PAF are at increased risk of acute myocarditis with scrub typhus. These patients warrant closer follow-up and urgent echocardiogram would be needed.
1. The diaphragm excursion degree was greater in patients with extubation success. 2. The diaphragm thickening change was greater in patients with extubation success. 3. Diaphragm excursion seems more accurate than the change of diaphragm thickness to predict extubation success.
1. In this study, we assessed computed tomography (CT) morphologic features of pulmonary adenocarcinomas with brain/bone metastasis to identify predictive factors for metastasis. A finding of necrosis ≥ 30% on chest CT was a common related factor for the development of brain/bone metastasis. 2. Further research, using computer aided medical image diagnosis system, should be conducted to assess additional related factors for metastasis and survival in lung cancer.
1. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is associated with insulin resistance. 2. Compound K (CK) is the final metabolite of panaxadiol ginsenosides that have been shown to exert antidiabetic effects. 3. CK improved glucose intolerance and hepatic steatosis through adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activation.